Cloth Diapering | Caring For, Storing, and Washing Cloth Diapers

April 15, 2016

Hi friends! In celebration of Earth day coming up later this month, I've partnered with Charlie Banana to share how I use cloth! Now, there is a TON of information out there about going green, and using cloth diapers, so please know that this is my experience and someone else may have a completely different experience based on their routine/products they use! Read on to learn more about my cloth!

Why Cloth?

I decided to start using cloth when Grace turned four months old. I had been using disposable diapers for a while and wasn't happy with them for a number of reasons. I loved the idea of reducing my carbon footprint, and with a few diaper rashes, and the discomfort I saw from the rough, papery diapers, I decided it was time to make the switch. PLUS, the prints are absolutely darling!

Types of Cloth Diapers

I'm not going to get super into explaining this, only because there are several different types/brands of cloth. If you are interested in learning more about the types of cloth diapers, be sure to visit my cloth diapering bible, Fluff University! There are tons of helpful videos, and they explain, in depth, the types of cloth diapers. They also have an index of diaper brands! Super helpful stuff, but for all intensive purposes, I use Charlie Banana pocket diapers almost exclusively! I love how the brand holds up (I've been using them for 6+ months) and I really like the variety of prints. I can also use one or two inserts depending on the time of day and absorbent I need them to be!

Storing Cloth Diapers

I like to store my cloth diapers in one place so that I have a central location for diaper changes! My covers and microfiber inserts (and flour sack towels - more on those in a sec!) are in the same drawer of Grace's dresser. Some like to stuff their diapers before storing, but I personally like to tailor each cover/insert to the time of day/frequency of Grace using them. [I.E. in the morning, she will go through more diapers/inserts, and in the evenings, I can only use one insert!] I also use the flour sack towels at night with a diaper cover, since they are more absorbent!

I'll get more into the types of inserts you can use with pocket diapers later on - maybe in the next post? The white (pad looking) inserts are the microfiber ones and those go inside the covers, and the white and tan colored towels are flour sack towels, and pre-folds, both which I use with my Charlie Banana covers.

Dirty Diapers

When I have a dirty cloth diaper, I do one of two things! If it's just a wet one, I take out the inserts, and put both it and the pocket diaper covers into the wet bag/white basket you see pictured above! I have the Charlie Banana wet bag, and I love that it hides all of the smells! If the diaper is a #2 diaper, I simply take out the inserts and put them in the wet bag, then use the handy sprayer (that attaches to the toilet) to spray off any remnants! It's super quick/simple, and not as big of a deal as you may think ;)

How To Wash Cloth Diapers

How often - You generally want to have 20-25 diapers per baby, and this should give you a good 2-3 days between washes! I have about 35 diapers and usually wash every 4 days!

Pre-Wash - The pre-wash cycle gets the diapers ready to be cleaned. I usually do a hot wash, but that's because sometimes I use a plant-based detergent. I do the 6 minute cycle for my pre-wash with one cap full of detergent.

Main Wash - I wash my diapers on hot for this setting too. Every washer is different, so be sure to check out Fluff University and find your exact type of washer [HE or Non-HE, and the brand] and it will tell you what your prewash/wash settings should be! I use the 18 minute setting and use about a cap and a half full of detergent + a 1/4 cup of Borax. See below on Borax for hot/soft water!

NO Rinses - Don't do an extra rinse afterward! Some do, but I've been told that it wears the diapers out a lot quicker!

Drying - I hang dry my covers on hangers or a drying rack (make sure to hang them hot dog style so that you don't wear out the elastics!) You can also hang them on a clothesline! I dry my inserts and 

Hard Water, Soft Water and Detergent

If you are a lucky duck and have soft water in your house, then all you need to do is find a good detergent to wash your diapers in! If you have hard water, then be sure to use Borax with your detergent (I put in 1/4 cup of Borax) in the main wash. I don't use any in the prewash! Be sure to check out the Fluff Love Detergent Index to verify that your detergent is safe for your cloth! I typically use the Charlie Banana detergent, or a Seventh Generation plant-based detergent.
Dirty Diapers
When I have a dirty cloth diaper, I do one of two things! If it's just a wet one, I take out the inserts, and put both it and the pocket diaper covers into the wet bag/white basket you see pictured above! I have the Charlie Banana wet bag, and I love that it hides all of the smells! If the diaper is a #2 diaper, I simply take out the inserts and put them in the wet bag, then use the handy sprayer (that attaches to the toilet) to spray off any remnants! It's super quick/simple, and not as big of a deal as you may think ;)
I hope that you guys have learned some new info about cloth diapering after reading this post! I was soooo terrified to start researching it since some think it's rather intense, but I honestly love not contributing to a landfill *rolls eyes* and reusing these gorgeous, cozy diapers each day on my babe's bum!

Please leave any questions you have in the comments, and I will be sure answer them in my next post or on my Snapchat Cloth Diaper Q&A coming up this weekend! (LivinginColorL). Also, don't forget to follow Charlie Banana on Instagram, and on like them on Facebook to get some info on their latest, cute prints!






*This post contains Charlie Banana products sent to me free of charge to help with this post, however, as always, all opinions and content are my own!

3 comments:

  1. I just bought my first one to give it a try but I'm not sure.... :) the prints though are fantastic on many of them! And the colors!!

    www.miouprincesslovespink.blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! Love these fun designs.
    <3
    katsfashionfix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...