Motherhood | How To Live in The Moment

May 02, 2016

Hi beautiful friends! With Mother's Day coming up, I'm feeling awfully sentimental. Do you ever have those days where you feel like you're being pulled in one trillion directions? The laundry needs to be done, but you have a conference call, and have to cook dinner, or maybe you are running from school to school picking up your kids, or going to this soccer game or that softball event. Life can get SO busy. I am writing this post, mainly for myself, so that I can remember to stop, breathe, and try to live in the moment as best as I can. Here are some helpful tips...
Breathe.
When I am feeling overwhelmed, and realize that I'm a total bundle of nerves, I have to close my eyes, and think about what matters most... my family. This always helps me focus on what I should be truly worrying about.
Be Silly.
Making Grace laugh is one of my favorite stress-relievers. I was so annoyed that there were so many things going on in my kitchen tonight - dishes to be done, food on the floor, and a husband who was upstairs doing God knows what... I felt alone and like my giant to-do list was going to consume me, then as I wiped up the crumbs from the floor beneath her high chair I peeked up and saw her sweetly smiling at me, then she let out a sweet chuckle. Instead of being frustrated I decided to forget the crumbs, and continue playing peek-a-boo with her. I made a mental note to do this again, as it was quite a popular game!
Know You Aren't Alone.
There are tons of wives and moms going through what you are, and possibly more. This is why community is SO important in Motherhood. My Mom Tribe, and my Birth Club, and real life friends have been amazing avenues of support when I'm stressed or worried. Also, know that there are others out there that are way worse off. I think about where I was a year ago, and I was such a mess. Grace's birth was a tragic one, and I thank God, every day that I don't have to relive that horror. I'll take the messy house, long to-do list, and dirty hair over a terrible hospital stay, any day!
Try To See The World Through A Child's Eyes.
Everything in Grace's life seems so simple. This holds true for older kiddos too. When I taught Kindergarten, I had a student make a "to-do" list one morning of things she needed to get done. On it, she wrote... "wake up, get dressed, fill up a bucket (from the Bucket Filler classroom management technique haha), and go to Mrs. K's house" hahaha. What a beautifully simple life! Wake up... the first thing on her to-do list, and yet such an important one.

Grace is obsessed with birds. As we are having this photo above taken, she is looking at birds, and I'm pointing over to where they are and saying "bird" to her. She's been going through a phase now where she just loves to gaze up at the birds soaring through the sky, or the trees dancing in the wind. Let me tell you, if you haven't taken a second to stop. take a deep breath. and looked around at the leaves as they move back and forth on the branches, try it! It's absolutely inspiring, and again, puts things into great perspective for me.
Snuggle.
Nothing is better than baby or even kid snuggles. They grow up SO quickly, and as each year passes, I want to reflect and not question "did I hug, kiss, talk with, read to, or encourage my kids enough?" Try to set aside 20 minutes a day (at least) that focus on just your kids. Obviously for moms and dads of less independent babies/toddlers will spend lots more time with them since they're tiny, but school-aged children need that social interaction too. 

I don't like to judge, and there's probably a god reason, but I see parents out with their kids often, and they will be on the computer (laptop) or phone, or iPad, and not even paying attention to the children as they climb the tree, or win a game of tag. Children love affirmation and obviously your attention is the key. Again, no judging, just an observation as a teacher, and now parent...just want to remind everyone that these are simply my guidelines/reminders to myself to live in the moment, and it may look different for someone else.
...because these moments are fleeting, and I want to soak them up as best I can.


Grace's Outfit: Finn & Emma "Hipster Collection" romper (only $32, and organic - I adore this!) c/o | Sugar Shack teepee c/o | Smiling Tree Toys 'animal puzzle pull toy' c/o


xoxoxo.

8 comments:

  1. These are some off the most adorable photos and also such a true words/ tips! :)

    http://lartoffashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true!! I was feeling the exact same the other night, my husband was outside doing who knows what, and I had so many things to do! Lately I've been waiting to clean up after I put my daughter to bed :) That helps, unless she decides to stay up super late. Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omgoodness such beautiful photos! I am expecting a baby boy in August, and have a sweet 7 year old step daughter who I have had the privilege of knowing for many years now. It can get overwhelming trying to do so much. Great tips, thanks for sharing! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sweet and these photos are gorgeous!!

    xx Leah / www.eatpraywearlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These photos are SO cute. And I love these tips. So important to be in the moment :)
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these sweet photos!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great blog.thanks for sharing it and all the pics are very beautiful.
    http://digitizingzone.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such cute photos!
    Love,
    http://thestyleventure.com/2016/05/04/inspiration-wednesday-glowing-skin/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...